Friday, September 26, 2014

Review: Holding Aces by Nikki Groom



Title: Holding Aces (The Kingdom #1)
Author: Nikki Groom
Release Date: May 29th 2014
Genre: Adult contemporary romance
Add to Goodreads


**Holding Aces is part one of a two part Adult Contemporary Romance series that contains mature sexual content and language and is not intended for readers under the age of 18.**

*Please note: This is not a dark romance*


They say that time heals all wounds.
But mine are set in so deeply, they’ve taken on a life of their own, lurking in the shadows at every turn and haunting my thoughts.

The girl I once was has been replaced by a stranger.
I don’t even know who I am anymore.

I run.
And I hide.
Pretending to be someone I’m not…

Until I meet Denham King.
My burst of color in an otherwise grey world.
And for the first time in my life, I find myself running towards someone instead of running away.

But fate can be cruel,
and I can’t escape my past.
Can I?



“Don’t run,” he says before releasing my hands slowly, and I instinctively move to tangle my fingers in his thick dark hair. Both his hands move to my ass, squeezing and pulling me closer as he kisses me with a fierce tenderness I can’t explain. I vaguely register him flicking the lock on the door as he walks us backwards, never breaking contact.
He turns me as we reach his desk, and I hear paperwork flutter to the floor and glass smash as he sends everything on the desk flying before lying me down on the cold, hard surface, his body pressed tightly against mine. I have a desperate need to touch him, to taste him, to feel every inch of this man. I slide my hands in the waistband of his trousers and pull out his shirt. I let my hands roam freely over his torso, realizing I’ve wanted to do this since the very first time I saw him at the elevator.
He runs his hands down the length of my body and pushes them back up again, skimming my thighs and taking my skirt with them, exposing my lace underwear. “Stunning,” he says before bringing his mouth to mine.
Tasting…
Feeling…
Testing…
Our teeth crash together as the desire grows, and we both know it’s impossible to stop this now. “Arianna,” he says breathlessly. His chest is heaving and there are little beads of sweat gathering on his brow.
“Yes…” I can barely form the word. I haven’t answered to my real name for a very long time, but it feels natural coming from him.
“Tell me you want this…”
It’s a command, but I don’t feel threatened. I want this as much as he does.I nod my answer.
“Tell me, Ari. I won’t touch you until you tell me.”
“Yes, yes I want you…”





Nikki Groom is a hopeless romantic, lover of all things happily ever after and firm believer that love makes the world go around. 
In her spare time, you will find Nikki laughing with her very treasured family, walking with her beloved dog in the hundred acre wood or curled up in a cosy corner with words and wine. 
She lives in East Sussex with her husband and two children. Having turned her hand to many things over the years, Nikki is now proud to add ‘author’ to that list. 
Having always been a dreamer, Nikki’s imagination stretches far and wide, which enables her to get lost in faraway places and imaginary people.
Nikki loves to chat, especially about books! You can find her here…




WOW is what I want to say first. Second this was a great read for Nikki's debut book.

You live in the dark for so long that when you step into the light you don't know what to do!!

We meet Natalie who really isn't who she says she is. She is actually running from her past, recently married and is coming into a sticky situation again. Her husband Aaron is a mess and wants to start a family. I think he is dealing with stress from work and takes his aggravation out on Natalie. What happens is every woman's worse nightmare. What does Natalie do? She runs and I hope most woman would too. At least leave for the night let things cool down and then go from there. However Natalie she has been in this place before. Her life hung in the balance. She did what came natural to her RUN!!!

While running she called 2 people from her past. They can't wait to see her again and help her get her old life back. 

While waiting to get back on her feet she stays in this hotel, this fancy hotel. While there she meets Denham King OMG total hawtness right there. She doesn't know who he is at frist but she would love to devour him. Yes her feelings are all over the place. She knows she shouldn't be thinking of a stranger like that after fleeing like she did. I mean if you see this hot ass guy who take a look at you and scowls because of a mark on your cheek, and is a total gentlemen you would want to lick him too!!

Denham he know's he has to get to know Natalie. They have this electric connection when they touch. When he touches her it feels like little pin pricks in a good way. He finds out who she REALLY is Arianna and what happens?? She flees again. When this happens her past and her present come crashing together. The last person she wanted to see shows up and she gets so confused as to what is going on. She has feelings for Denham but she doesn't want to open up her heart because every time she does she gets burned, played and beat. Her past is so strong that she doesn't see a future at all. She has lived in the dark that when the light(Denham) is there it takes everything in his power to show her LOVE!!

What I loved was their connection, their innocent feelings for one another. Denham's ability to hold off to take things further with Ari until she is for certain she is ready. They had an easy banter. Well except when Ari would talk herself down in her head. 
When they finally were together Denham had said "We fit like you were made for me, just me" um OMG!!! who hasn't had that said to them? 

Right when Ari opens up to Denham and her life has taken a turn for the good. She has seen the light and wants to stay in it. All hell comes back with a vengeance. The ending will make you scream, want to throw you kindle and ask " how can she leave it like that?"

I really can't wait for the next book High Stakes which comes out next month Oct 24th. 
Check out the cover





No comments:

Post a Comment