Monday, August 24, 2015

Reivew by Jackie: Dopey Women by Laura Barnard



Sadie had a bumpy upbringing but she’s still managed to drag herself out and carve a career for herself. That all comes crashing down when she, along with the women she manages; Mags, Lexi & Steph, get made redundant. She’s screwed. In hindsight she shouldn’t have attacked her colleague in a moment of rage. There goes the reference.

When they all bump into each other a few months later at the job centre Sadie finds she’s not the only one in a hole. Steph’s boyfriend has left her holding the baby, Lexi’s stuck in an abusive relationship and poor Mags has breast cancer. They’re all struggling to keep on top of their bills. They all need money to get out of their situations, its as simple as that. 

Mags mentions that some women find marijuana helps ease the sickness caused by chemo. With the desperation mounting and the coffee spurring them on they somehow decide to start growing it. They’re only going to sell to ladies going through chemo, so its not too bad, right? They’re not going to be proper drug dealers. And its only temporary. 

They didn’t bet on the business taking off so well though. Before they know it they’ve got orders coming out of their ears, a sexy detective on their trail, suspicious neighbours and drug dealers angry they’re working on their patch. 

Can Sadie pull them out of this dangerous world they’ve found themselves in? And can she do it before they end up in prison?

Add to Goodreads







5 Star Review
I was given this book for a honest review.
I have say right away this book was hilarious it had me laughing out loud and getting some very strange looks from my husband.
Sadie, Mag's,Lexi and Steph worked together but have all been made redundant. A chance meeting at the local job center finds them all having problems with finding jobs and earning money on top of that Mag's has lost her husband and is going through Chemo for cancer.....
The group of women decide that they could help the patients going through chemo and earn some money by growing marijuana and baking cookies with it in them...
What they don't bargain for is stepping on a local drugs baron toes and this is when the fun really begins . We then meet the handsome detective who goes by the name of Harry. Harry is looking for promotion but it turns into more than that when he falls for Sadie but he is a policeman and she is a amateur drugs dealer......
Mag's and Sadie were fun, laugh till you piss your pants characters.
Lexi and Steph had deeper issues and at times I wanted to yell at them but overall this book had me loving them all.
This book does cover some criminal activity and Sadie does pay the price for breaking in the law . Will Harry wait for her or will he move on after all he is a detective....
This is the first book I have read by Laura Barnard and I will be looking for more 
Laura brought Humor to a subject that most people don't want to talk about, but she stil showed compassion for the subject matter.
Loved this book





My name is Laura Barnard and I am an author from Hertfordshire, UK. My first chick-lit novel, The Debt & the Doormat was an Amazon number 1 best-seller and won Best Laugh Out Loud Book of 2013. It is available via Amazon, Smashwords, iBooks. Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository and many more. 

In my spare time I enjoy drinking my body weight in tea, indulging in cupcakes the size of my face, drooling over hunks like Jamie Dornan, Ryan Gosling and Leo Dicaprio...oh and my husband of course! I like wearing yoga clothes and reading fitness magazines while I sit on the sofa and eat chocolate. I'm a real fan of the power nap and of course, READING!

I write not to get rich or famous, but because I LOVE writing. Even if one person tells me they enjoyed my book it makes the midnight typing worth it!









No comments:

Post a Comment