Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Reviews by Jackie & Marina: Sustained by Emma Chase



A knight in tarnished armor is still a knight.

When you’re a defense attorney in Washington, DC, you see firsthand how hard life can be, and that sometimes the only way to survive is to be harder. I, Jake Becker, have a reputation for being cold, callous, and intimidating—and that suits me just fine. In fact, it’s necessary when I’m breaking down a witness on the stand.

Complications don’t work for me—I’m a “need-to-know” type of man. If you’re my client, tell me the basic facts. If you’re my date, stick to what will turn you on. I’m not a therapist or Prince Charming—and I don’t pretend to be.

Then Chelsea McQuaid and her six orphaned nieces and nephews came along and complicated the ever-loving hell out of my life. Now I'm going to Mommy & Me classes, One Direction concerts, the emergency room, and arguing cases in the principal's office.

Chelsea’s too sweet, too innocent, and too gorgeous for her own good. She tries to be tough, but she’s not. She needs someone to help her, defend her…and the kids.

And that — that, I know how to do.

Add to Goodreads









5 Star 
I was given this book for a honest review
This is the first book in this series that I have read and I was hooked from page one.
Jake Becker is a playboy defense attorney who has no interest in relationships or children ....
Chelsea is bringing up her 6 nieces and nephews after her brother and sister in law were killed in a car accident. Her life has been turned upside down all at the tender age of 26. The children range in ages from a baby to a teenager and most of them are rebelling against the system because of the loss of their parents.
Jake meets one of them when he has his wallet picked from his pocket. He chases him down and drags him home to Chelsea.
What follows is a very funny book that had me laughing out loud. The children are funny in their own right but add Jakes POV......
Whether its getting the kids kicked out of piano lessons or teaching them to fight or just giving his advice it all adds up to a hilarious story.
“Riley, boys your age… are really not worth your time. They’re selfish and stupid. It’s not their fault; they’re just programed that way- but they’re still a lost cause. I think you should stay away from all of them until you’re at least… twenty-five. Or… have you considered being a lesbian?”
She looks at me blankly. “That is so offensive.”
I raise one hand. “Just trying to be helpful.”
This book has it all, I loved the chemistry between Jake and Chelsea as well as the banter between the children and Jake. For someone who was not looking for a relationship he sure knows how to protect Chelsea and the kids and he steps up when it matters the most.......
I didn't want this book to end. 
If you want a book that makes you laugh out loud this is the book for you




5 Stars
First off I want to say this is the first book in this series that I have read. And what an incredible book. I absolutely loved it. I had no idea the story would be like this, went in the direction it did, it was amazing.
I have read books by Emma before…Tangled being one of them and I am in love with this book very much so.
There was so much keeping me hooked, the characters, the humour, the storyline. Just everything!!
Jake Becker, defense attorney, bit of a player, was such a great character. His way with words, his desires, his heart. I can’t describe in enough words how likeable/lovable he was. He oozed character, especially in the way he treated those he loved around him. The way he was initially in the book to the way he was when it finished, completely surprised me. He changed so much AND for the better!
Chelsea McQuaid, at such a young age, was thrown into the deep end to care for her brothers 6 kids. Yep 6 kids….Damn, right??? She sounds like a saint. 
When one of the kids steals Jake’s wallet, he goes out of his way to return him to his home to speak to his parents. When he gets there he finds out who this kids parents are and needless to say….the kids as well as Chelsea worm their way into his heart. 
Jake and Chelsea together were magical. I thought Jake was incredibly caring to both her and the kids, the way he went above and beyond for them, was very admirable in my opinion. BUT in saying that I also wanted to slap him…for the way he didn’t realise how much he cared about them all. It took his friends to open his eyes. And then….well that’s for you to find out. 
I cannot wait to read more from Emma Chase. This book made my absolute week. Easy to read, made me laugh and surprised me all at once. Add it to your TBR list.
ARC provided through Netgalley by publisher for an honest review.




By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she toils away the hours bringing her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine. 

Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true. 





No comments:

Post a Comment