Sunday, January 17, 2016

Reviews by Marina & Jackie: The Sun In Her Eyes by Paige Toon






'Before your mother died, she asked me to tell you something …'
When Amber Church was three, her mother was killed in a car accident. A stranger was at the scene and now, nearly thirty years later, she's desperate to talk to Amber.
Living in London and not-so-happily married to Ned, Amber is greeted one morning by two pieces of news: she's to be made redundant from her City job and her beloved father, across the world in Australia where she grew up, has been felled by a stroke. She takes the first plane out to be by his side, leaving Ned uncertain as to when she will return. Reunited with her old friends, Amber is forced to confront her feelings for Ethan Lockwood, the gorgeous, green-eyed man she fell for as a young girl.
And then Amber receives a letter that changes everything …






I received a Paperback copy of this book from Simon & Schuster AU for an honest review.

I really don’t know where to begin to review this book to tell you the truth. I was hooked from the start and I found it difficult to put down. Having never heard of Paige Toon before, I was intrigued and excited. I love discovering new authors!!

This is a really wonderful heartfelt story of love, friendship and memories. I really loved the way the story went and considering parts were in Australia where I have actually been, made it even more enjoyable.  I’ve been there, I know where that is…love it!!

There was a part that really was quite close to my heart and made me feel a little sad as I know exactly how Amber felt in regards to her Dad, it was rather eerie, tbh. I felt a little emotional at that point.

 Amber had to return to Australia from London when her Dad had a stroke. After being away for so long, she is keen to see her old friends again and wondered how seeing Ethan, her childhood love will be. I liked most of the characters, bar one, she got on my nerves a bit and I wondered why she was like that initially.

The letter Amber receives in regards to her Mum’s death is really quite heart-warming in a sense. What happens when they meet?? Does she get any closure??

There are many things that happen in this book. We  find out certain things about some of the characters, their struggles with their relationships etc.  Amber also needs to make some decisions, does she choose right? Well I’m not going to tell you!!!! You need to read it for yourself to find out.


I thought the ending worked well and am happy with how it turned out for everyone. I would definitely like to read more from this author.






4 Star Review
I received a paperback copy from Simon & Schuster AU for an honest review

I love discovering new authors and I'm ashamed to say that is what Paige Toon is to me but she won't be for long, I will be looking at her other books.

Amber return's to Adelaide from London when her father has a stroke, truth be told she also needs to get away from London and her husband Ned for a while so her trip down under works out rather well. Amber once she realizes her father is on the mend catches up with all old friends and that includes Ethan her childhood sweetheart. One thing leads to another and before you know it Amber needs to make a decision .....

I felt that someone was always going to get hurt and I really wanted Amber to get closure on her mothers death. Did someone get hurt, did she get closure, I guess you will need to read the book.
The characters in this book have chemistry and their humor is enjoyable . Having lived in Adelaide, I also enjoyed reading about the area which was described perfectly.
Looking forward to reading more from Paige Toon.


I was born in 1975 and my dad’s career as a racing driver meant that I grew up between Australia, England and America. I worked at heat magazine for eight years as Reviews Editor, but left to have a baby. I’m now a full-time author and freelance journalist. I live in North London with my husband Greg, son Indy and daughter Idha.







No comments:

Post a Comment